The primary application for nitrogen gas use in the mining industry is extinguishing coal mine fires. However, updated regulations require miners to inert abandoned/worked-out areas of the mines if insufficient seals are installed (note: this is mandated by Final Standard 30 CFR Part 75 issued by the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) as of April, 2008).
The key initiative in extinguishing a coal mine fire is to reduce oxygen content of the combustive gases below the lower limit of explosion (LEL). Specialty foams are occasionally injected with nitrogen gas to help seal off air ingress to the fire and help cool the surface of the coal embers after the LEL has been achieved. Injection continuously is required for days, even months in some cases. Hauling or using liquid nitrogen to mining location is costly and yields safety concerns. A more reliable and cost effective method is to generate nitrogen on-site by utilizing a robust Gaztron Nitrogen Generation System.
The MSHA regulations for underground mine seals were developed to protect miners in active areas of the well from potential explosions in abandoned sections of the mines. Therefore seals must be designed to maintain a minimum of 120 psig within the abandoned or worked-out areas. If the seal requirement cannot be maintained and pressure drops (minimum seal pressure requirement per MSHA is 50 psig) additional nitrogen gas must be injected to satisfy pressure requirements. Per Federal Regulations, this process shall continue in order to maintain an atmosphere of 10% 02 or less.
Features and benefits of using Nitrogen:
- Engineered N2 gas generation solutions that meet any purity specification
- N2 Generator designed to meet the required flow rate
- GAZTRON generators can be easily transported to site with simple installation
- Eliminate the ongoing costs associated with cryogenic liquid based N2 supply
- Appropriate for direct injection or as a carrier gas for foam to maintain the inert atmosphere
- Project engineering and design support provided by GAZTRON
- 24 hour after installation service and support
Gaztron Engineering Pvt Ltd Nitrogen Gas Generator is Suitable for high Pressure and following models are available
Range of Plant Capacity - 5 to 1000 Nm3/Hr.
Nitrogen Purity - Up to 99.9998%
Balance Oxygen Content - 5 to 0.5%
Range of Dew Point - -20 to -40 Deg. Cent
Discharge Pressure - 5 to 25 kg/cm2